Check-in date:   City:   Room:   Title:
     
Check-out date: Category&Apartments: Price up to: Distance up to, km:
   
 
   

Intourist.com Volgograd

Volgograd 

Browse map
General information Major sights History Hotels

Major sights


Eternal fire in the memorial of Russian soldiers in Volgograd.

The Mamai Hill
It is the main sight of Volgograd. In short, “a visiting card” of the city. The whole square of the architectural-and-sculptural complex is about 26 hectares. It stretches from the foot up to the top of the hill for almost 1,5 km. The central figure of the composition is known as “Motherland calls”.


The Mamai Hill is a sacred place for the Volgograders and all the Russians. It is the highest point in Volgograd. During the Great Patriotic War the hill was called “Height 102”. The whole city can be seen from the top of the hill. That's why terrible fights were waged here for its possession. Stalingrad Battle lasted for 200 days and 135 days the Soviet troops fought for the “Height 102”. All the Mamai Hill was dug with bombs, projectiles and mines. Every 1 sq. Meter of the Mamai Hill was covered with 500–1300 bullets and shells. The burnt ground soaked with soldier's blood after bombing was quite lifeless. Even grass didn't grow there. After Stalingrad Battle the Mamai Hill became the brother's grave for 34,5 thousand people fallen down defending the city and its people. The memorial complex “To the heroes of Stalingrad Battle” was opened in October 1967. It is considered to be one of the 7 wonders of Russia. 


World War II Memorial The Mamai Hill.

The height of the hill is 14 m. The main monument “Motherland calls” is situated on the top of it. This woman with a sword in a hand calls her sons to defend their Motherland. The height of this sculpture is 85 m. (52 m. is the height of Motherland, the length of the hand — 20 m, of the sword — 29 m). The weight of the sculpture is 8 thousand tons. In May, 2005 Temple of all the Saints was opened on the Mamai Hill for the sake of the fallen fighters. A white stone temple with five domes is situated near the Brother's grave of Stalingrad defenders.


A memorial park was planted at the foot of the Mamai Hill. It started with the only tree planted by a women, a worker of the Tractor Plant in memory of her fallen husband who defended Stalingrad. A lot of people who lost their relatives during the Great Patriotic War followed her example. Nowadays there are 20 thousand trees in the park. Some trees are marked with the names of the fighters. At the entrance to the park there is a memorial stone with an inscription: “This memorial park was founded in autumn, 1965 to honor the memory of the soldiers — defenders of Stalingrad”.


The Heroes’ Alley consists of 3 parallel streets. It connects the Square of the Fallen Fighters and the Central Embankment (on the Volga — river). It is surrounded with high poplar-trees. Comfortable benches are places in their shadow. Volgograders like to spend their free time here. People of art gather on the Alley of Heroes where they sell their pictures and souvenirs. In 1985 on one side of the Alley a memorial monument to 192 heroes of the Soviet Union born in Volgograd was opened. Three of them were twice-heroes of the Soviet Union, and 28 had orders of Glory of 3 grades. Opposite it there is a monument to 127 heroes of the Soviet Union who got the title during Stalingrad Battle.


The Central Embankment.

 

The Central Embankment (named after the 62-th Army) was built after the Great Patriotic War. Here you can see sights from different historical periods starting from the time when Volgograd was named Tsaritsin till nowadays. A Fountain with the composition “Arts” in the centre of it was erected in 1957 on the upper terrace of the Central Embankment. The composition presents 3 dancing girls in national dresses. Then there is a staircase with two white propylons on both sides of it.


There is a monument to Holsunov V.S. not far from the rotunda. He was born in Tsaritsin in 1905 was a commander of air-brigade that fought in Span. He fell down in July, 1939. The monument was erected in 1940. A bronze sculpture 3,85 m in height is on the granite pedestal of 4,5 m. This monument survived the war bombing. Here on the upper terrace of the embankment there is a monument to the greatest Russian Tsar — Peter-I.

The monument to the fire — brigade ship “Gasitel” was opened in November, 1977 on the lower terrace of the central embankment. It was built in 1903 and called “Tsarev” till 1926. It served as a fire-ship till 1966, participated in Tsaritsin defence, tock part in Stalingrad Battle. Volgograd river station is considered to be the greatest river station of Europe. It is situated on the Central Embankment. It's length is 296 m (the same one Red Square in Moscow has), width — 36 m, height — 47 m. The spacious of the waiting — hall is 700 people.


Volgograd Music Theatre was built in 1952 on the upper terrace. In 1992 after a long reconstruction it was opened anew.


Museum-panorama ”Stalingrad Battle”.

Museum-panorama ”Stalingrad Battle”
State historical memorial museum “Stalingrad Battle” is a modern historical complex. Its total square is about 4500 sq. m. This museum exhibits military equipment that is demonstrated in the open air and the guns of different calibers, which were produced in the period of the war. You can see famous Soviet “Katusha” (a military car with reactive artillery) here. One can see here, the ruins of Grudin's Mill, military equipment and a round panorama “The defeat of Fascist Troops at Stalingrad”. The art pictures of Panorama about the Great Patriotic War are the greatest in the world.


Churches of Volgograd
There are many old churches in Volgograd that belong to the monuments of architecture.
Kazan Cathedral was built between 1897 — 1899 in a new Russian style. It was sanctified on August, 23, 1899. The Cathedral was built in the style of eclectic. It was a characteristic feature of the 19-th century. Heavy times came with the Soviet power. At first unique things and icons were taken away and in 1939 it was closed. A bread production factory was opened here. In 1942–43 the Cathedral was seriously damaged. The Church was newly rebuilt in 1946 by the request of the people. In 1954 Kazan Church was named Cathedral of Kazan God — Mother. It is considered that she can protect our Motherland in hard times. According to the legend this icon protected Moscow from the Polish invasion. It protected Moscow from the Germans who intruded into our territory in 1941 and helped in the fight at Stalingrad in 1943 before a decisive struggle. This Cathedral attracts many foreign guests who can see its greatness with their own eyes.

Church of all the Saints.


The Church of Nikita Confessor.  It was built in 1782–1795 in honour of Nikita Confessor. It was built by Nikita Aphanasjevich Beketov. He was a general from Astrachan (a city on the Volga), a governor of these lands. A wonderful palace under the name “Otrada” was built here. Nowadays we can see only the church of his divine protector. Nikita Church is an example of cathedral building in the style of real classicism. It has stone walls and a wooden dome. In the 50-th it was newly painted by Moscow artists. This Cathedral is a masterpiece of Russian architecture and is protected by the State.



Lisaya Gora
It is one of the most important heights in Volgograd — the sights of the city, especially the southern ones can be seen from here. This hill is covered with sand and devoid of vegetation. That's why it was called Lisaya Gora. It was the place of heavy struggles during the Great Patriotic War.



Memorial — historical museum
At Station Square is a two-storey building. It was built in 1903 by a merchant-woman J. Repnikova. It is a building of new Russian style of the 19–20-th centuries. The Defense Council and authority systems were situated here. In 1937 the Defense Museum was opened here. After the Stalingrad Battle this house was rebuilt. It is a masterpiece of Russian architecture. It was one of the three buildings which was not destroyed during the War.






About Intourist Contacts
 

 General terms and conditions for on-line booking