Check-in date:   City:   Room:   Title:
     
Check-out date: Category&Apartments: Price up to: Distance up to, km:
   
 
   

Intourist.com Uglich

Uglich 

Browse map
General information Major sights History

Major sights


The Resurrection Monastery.

The Uglich fortress, or “Kremlin”, stands on the bank of the Volga River. Several ancient churches are located behind the Kremlin walls, the most famous one is the beautiful Dormition Church and Church of Prince Dimitri On Blood. These churches are a fine example of 17th century architecture. The Duke's chamber of the 15th century and the Resurrection Monastery are also located on the Kremlin’s territory as well as the Uglich Museum of History and Arts.


The Church of Prince Dimitri On Blood (1692) is the most beautiful building in Uglich, and the most historical, too. It was erected by the order of Peter the Great on the place of Tsarevich Dmitry's death (that is why it is called “On Blood”). The building is painted in red to remind people of the blood spilled in this place. The peculiarity of the church is the most detailed, nearly chronological reproduction of the story of young Tsarevitch Dimitry’ s death. The church itself and the ground floor below it have now been turned into a museum.


The palace of Tsarevich Dmitry, Ivan the Terrible's son, is the oldest building in Uglich. The palace dated back to 1480.  It is one of the few medieval Russian palaces that survived. Dmitri lived here from 1584 until 1591. It's an interesting brick building with simple but beautiful decorations. In the past the palace was a part of the ensemble of prince's residence, today the palace is a small museum well worth visiting.


The Resurrection Cathedral, the Bell-Tower, the Refectory Chambers together with the Church of the Virgin of Smolensk all stand in line forming a single ensemble of the Resurrection Monastery (1680).


The Alexeyevsky Monastery.

 

The Alexeyevsky Monastery is the oldest one in Uglich, was founded in 1371 by Alexius, Metropolitan of all Russia, an important political figure in the state of Muscovy. It was burned down during the Polish and Lithuanian invasion early in the seventeenth century. The monastery was rebuilt in the 1620s. One of the churches on the monastery premises is the small and simple-designed but very elegant and perfectly proportioned church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (1628) that has been known for centuries as “Divnaya” (Wondrous) (it is said that people used to stand in front of the magnificent building and exclaim "Divnaya!") and has always been dear to the hearts of the people of Uglich.


The Cathedral of Transfiguration was built in 1713 and it's the largest structure in the Kremlin area. It's topped by 5 onion-shaped green domes, It combines the best traditions of the ancient Russian architecture and some relatively new methods of building. The Cathedral of the Transfiguration was built of stone during times when Peter the Great ordered to use stone only for construction in St Petersburg. The acoustics of the interior are remarkable and five singers sound like a large choir. The exposition of Uglich icons and church plates in the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviour includes many valuable and rare exponents dated from 15th century.


The Cathedral of Transfiguration.

Bogoyavlensky church
In the museum of Art and History which is located in this church you can see portraits of Dmitri and others. Next to this museum you see the Bell Tower which belongs to the Cathedral of the Transfiguration. The Bogoyavlensky church was built between 1814 and 1827.


In the heart of Uglich there are also some good examples of old domestic architecture including stone and wooden houses of famous Russian merchants of the 18th century.


There is a unique Museum  in Uglich — “Library of Russian vodka”, where you'll learn the history of a very popular drink — Russian vodka — and taste the famous kinds of it.


Volga river
The view of Uglich from the side of Volga is fantastic: scarlet facades of the Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood, white walls of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, elegant Church of Nativity of John the Baptist, and next to it are the powerful Uglich hydroelectric power plant and high arcade of flood-gates.






About Intourist Contacts
 

 General terms and conditions for on-line booking